Monday, July 28, 2008

I'm a Lumberjack

I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay.
I work all night and I sleep all day.

Tonight, after the girls went to bed, I went outside with the intention of planting a couple of flowers and plants that the girls and I bought today and ended up sawing limbs off of not one but two pine trees. I asked Keith where his hand saw was.

Why?
I want to trim the pine tree out back.
Can't this wait until another time?
Nope.

So out I went.
One branch.
Two branch, etc., until I lopped off 6 large branches from that tree. Then, if that weren't enough, I decided that I'd better do one of the trees out front while I had the time. I must have taken another ten off of that one. The boys next door are going to be so bummed. They like to hideout in there. The youngest told me it was his "secret" hideout. His dad thought it was really nice that his son had a secret hideout in our yard. I'm going to tell his parents that I trimmed the tree because I got sick of him playing in my yard! They will know that I am joking.

I do feel like I got a lot accomplished in the yard tonight and have finally embraced my inner gardener that I have been fighting for years. I have always loved flowers but hated to take care of them. Now, it is the best escape at night. It is so quiet and flowers don't cry or whine - ever!

I did get lucky today and had no crying when we went to Bordine's Nursery to buy the plants and flowers. The girls were so good. I have never gone this late in the growing season so I was really surprised to see how empty it looked from both lack of plants and lack of people. Lauren wore her new butterfly wings and helped me push the cart around the aisles of flowers, occasionally stopping to smell the flowers or put something in my cart which I would later take out. She looked adorable. I was asked several times where I found the butterfly. I just replied, "She was fluttering around by the roses. I think she is the last one." It was nice to go there and just walk around undisturbed while we looked at all the beautiful flowers. They even have a playscape in the middle of the trees! I need to go back for a few more things but it seems like such a hassle. It takes longer to buckle the girls in their seats then it does to drive to Bordine's since we live so close. I wish we had a nice sidewalk so we could just take the wagon and go. Maybe someday.

No comments: