Sunday, September 13, 2009

In the Kitchen...

Seems like I have been experimenting with different recipes in the kitchen lately.  I have been on a quest to use up things we already have without running to the store so much.  This leads to some unique creations, sometimes edible sometimes not.  Oneof the things I came up with yesterday was using some of the crapload of cherry tomatoes I have from my garden.  Yes, crapload.  I love salsa, ketchup, stewed tomatoes but I don't like tomatoes.  So yesterday, I washed them up, cut the tops of and scooped out the centers.  This is a very time consuming task when you have a lot of tomatoes.  Then I took some shredded asiago cheese (left over from the previous night's dinner) and mixed in some crumbled cooked bacon, garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper, basil and oil oil.  I mixed that all up and stuffed it into each individual, tiny, wee cherry tomato.  Another time consuming task.  Then I threw it all into a 350 degree oven and cooked for about 30 minutes.  WOW!  First off, it smelled soooo good.  Secondly, it tasted AWESOME!  I will be making more of those when my next crop comes in.
Now, I mentioned the previous night's dinner.  Grab your napkin because your mouth is going to start watering.... Asiago-Crusted Pork Chops.   Super delicious.  This may be my new favorite thing to make and eat.  We have never been a pork chop family.  If I do make it, we slather on the bbq sauce but no longer.... 
What you'll need:
thin cut pork chops
egg or egg white (beaten) this is for coating the chops
Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
shredded Asiago cheese
salt and pepper
Extra-virgin olive oil

Put egg, panko and asiago cheese into separate dishes or plates.  Take a pork chop, dunk entire chop in egg, then into the cheese (coating evenly) and then into the panko.  Repeat with all chops.  Meanwhile, you should have had a pan with olive oil heating on the stove.  Put all coated chops into pan and cook on medium/high heat.  It doesn't take too long for the chops to cook but make sure they are cooked all the way through.  I remove the chops to a baker's rack with paper towel to soak up extra oil.  THIS IS SO YUMMY!
The first time I made it I had a creamy cheese blend of asiago, romano and parmessan cheese.  It was like a really thick dip.  I skipped the eggs and just slathered the cheese on and dipped it into the breadcrumbs.  This was even better!  Yummy.  Meijer is kind of unpredicible in what kind of gourmet cheese they have so you have to take what you can get.  Yes, asiago is considered gourmet.  That's Meijer for you.  This is actually really easy and quick to make.  YUMMY.  I can't say that enough.  YUMMY!

Now, something that didn't quite turn out and it isn't my fault.  I mixed up some chicken salad for sandwiches.  I asked Keith to sample it to see if I needed to put anything else in it.  He tried it and said, it needs a little more salt because it tastes a little sweet right now.  Many trips to my spice cabinet later and he was still mixing.  He was digging for another spice saying he screwed it up.  I took a bite.... really salty and too much garlic.  I love garlic and use it in everything but he put way too much.  It wasn't completely unedible but it wasn't the best either.  The bread helped hide some of the garlic flavor.  We did not kiss the rest of the night.  (Kidding.) 

Anyway, if you get a chance to try the tomatoes or pork chops, do it.  They are good just don't over do the garlic.

No comments: